Table of Contents
If you’re looking for the best pair of wireless earphones to go everywhere you go, you can’t look past those produced by Jaybird. Jaybird under the umbrella of Logitech, has long been known as a leading supplier of sports earphones, unsurpassed by many other leading brands.You may also like to read:
- Jaybird x3 vs Bose SoundSport Wireless ?
- Jaybird Freedom F5 vs x3
- Bose QuietComfort 15 vs 25 vs 35: Which should you buy?
However, if you want to know who wins the Jaybird Freedom 2 vs. x3 battle, the answer won’t be clear-cut.
While the x3s are undoubtedly convenient and comfortable for running, Jaybird also lifted their game from the original Freedom earphones when they released Freedom 2.
Therefore, we aim to enlighten you on the several different features both earphones have, to help you make an informed decision. You may just find they aren’t so different after all.
Jaybird Freedom 2
- They fit very securely.
- They offer a slim and sleek design.
- The cord length is easily adjustable for both under and over the ear.
- You can customize the sound settings in the Jaybird app available for both iOS and Android.
- The audio quality is exceptional.
- They come with a microphone and remote.
- The ear tips and fins are comfortable, with soft silicone.
- There aren’t many color options available.
- The ear tips and fins cannot be interchanged or separated from each other.
- The battery life is not as good as x3.
- The remote is cumbersome and doesn’t sit comfortably.
- They are smaller and more compact than Freedom 2.
- They fit very well.
- The sound quality is better than most other Jaybird earphones.
- There are more color options available than Freedom 2.
- They are water-resistant.
- The Bluetooth connection is better than Freedom 2.
- The battery life is better than Freedom 2.
- It can be challenging to find the battery to check it.
- An additional cable is needed to charge them.
- They are sweat-resistant.
There’s no denying that in the Jaybird Freedom 2 vs. x3 battle, there are going to be no clear winners.
However, there are many features on offer for both earphones that are going to help you decide to purchase one over the other.
For example, color, battery life, functionality, Bluetooth capabilities, and aesthetic features are all going to come into play. As are the apps available, the comfort of the earphones, and the conveniences of being able to take them everywhere you go.
We aim to cover some of these differentiating features below.
First of all, the color might not seem like an overly important feature, but for some people, it matters a lot. If you’re looking to be the sharpest on the block, with earphones that match your device, you’re going to choose the color that best suits your tastes.
X3 is a beautiful product. It’s sleek, it’s compact, and it also comes with a range of color options. You can choose from Alpha Green, Road Rash Red, Sparta White, and Blackout. All are great options for when you’re heading to the office, or out on the road for a run. However, if the cost of a new set of Jaybird headphones features highly in the decision-making process for you, you are best to opt for Blackout or Sparta White. On average, they are $30 cheaper than red or green.
Freedom 2, while offering similar features overall, has less of a color range. You can choose from Gold or Carbon, but both color options look sharp and can tie in beautifully with any device.
2. Battery life
If you’re searching for Jaybird Freedom 2 vs. x3 information on battery life, you’ve come to the right place. For most people, battery life is an important factor in deciding a winner. For ultimate levels of convenience, you’re going to want a device (and earphones) that last the distance. After all, there could be nothing more frustrating than heading out on a run, only to discover that minutes after setting off, your earphones are out of battery.
Traditionally, this was never a problem. While corded earphones are inconvenient for intense exercise, they relied on your device to get their power. Now, you get the convenience of no pesky cords, but the inconvenience of having to remember to charge your earphones. It’s an odd concept.
The clear winner in this fight is the x3. On average, you can expect to receive around eight hours of playback on a single charge. Simply charge overnight and wake up to earphones that will last for the entire working (or playing) day.
The Freedom 2s, unfortunately, hasn’t evolved much from the original Freedom earphones. You can normally average around four hours of playback time, or benefit from twice as much if you carry around the cumbersome charging cradle with you. Luckily, this charging clip fits into the supplied bag your earphones come in.
3. Sound quality
Equally as important as battery life is the sound quality. When you’re out on a jog, or you’re on public transport heading to work, you want to be able to hear the crisp melody of your favorite song, or the clarity of the treble and bass to get the hairs raised on your arms. Where most earphones fail to deliver, Jaybird earphones come to the party. Not only do the default sound options tick all the boxes for most users, but you can then use the Jaybird app to customize the sound quality further to suit your tastes. Optimize it for individual albums, or save custom settings for future use. No matter which device with which you link your earphones, your settings will remain the same.
The sound isolation of the x3 earphones is also simply incredible, as is the audio quality. There’s no denying that Freedom 2 delivers on sound quality, but you get to benefit from deeper bass and crystal-clear quality for every track you play with x3. It might just win this round.
In the Jaybird Freedom 2 vs. x3 battle, both Freedom 2 and x3 come out on top in the Bluetooth range. While the x3 is marginally better, Freedom 2 also offers easy-to-connect Bluetooth, with a 30-foot range for both models.
When you’ve got something poked into your ears for long periods of time, you want to make sure it’s comfortable. With models released before Freedom 2 and x3, the silicone used in the earbuds and fins was hard, uncomfortable, and could hurt your ears after even a short period.
However, Jaybird has lifted its game with both models. Freedom 2 features an exceptionally soft silicone material in the ear tips, which can mean you’re able to wear them for far longer.
However, your level of comfort for either set of earphones can depend on the shape and size of your ear canal. Typically, males tend to prefer x3s, whereas females prefer the snug fit and comfort of Freedom 2s.
You should buy the Jaybird Freedom 2 if:
- You’re after a snug, comfortable fit.
- You’re happy with a few color options from which to choose.
- You want to spend less money.
- You want to be able to adjust the cord length with ease.
- You prefer soft silicone for additional ear comfort.
You should buy the Jaybird x3 if:
- You’re planning on doing a lot of running.
- Sound quality matters.
- You prefer a longer battery life.
- You want your earphones to be sweat resistant and water-resistant.
- You like to be able to choose a color to match your device.