Table of Contents
There’s no denying Jaybird is in a league of its own when it comes to headphones you can enjoy and trust, but which model, out of all of them, stands out in a league of its own? In this review, we cover Jaybird Freedom F5 vs Freedom 2 – two of the most popular headphones for both leisure and fitness.
For over a decade, Jaybird has been known as one of the leading suppliers of wireless Bluetooth sports headsets and wearable activity trackers.You may also like to read:
In fact, in 2014 it was even named in the top five brands of premium headphones, alongside Sony, Sennheiser, Bose, and Beats.
Utah-based and owned by Logitech, it continues to develop new products such as the Freedom, BlueBuds X, X2, X3, and Freedom Bluetooth headsets, and the Reign activity tracker wristband and mobile app.
Some people enjoy the battery life and comfort of the Freedom F5, while others prefer the innovative features packed into the Freedom 2. Whatever your preference, we aim to break down the pros, cons, and features, to help you make an informed purchasing decision.
Jaybird Freedom F5 Review
- They are ultra-lightweight.
- They have a stunning, sleek design.
- You can customize your sound preferences through the Jaybird app.
- The cable is tangle-resistant for a less frustrating listening experience.
- The in-line remote works very well.
- The sound quality is fantastic.
- They are quite expensive in comparison to other brands.
- The advertised battery life is eight hours, but it’s more like four hours.
Jaybird Freedom 2 Review
- They offer a slim, sleek design.
- They have a snug, secure fit.
- The cord is adjustable for over or under-ear wearing.
- You can customize the sound settings within the Jaybird app.
- It offers excellent audio quality.
- It has a full in-line remote and microphone.
- The silicone ear tips are comfortable.
- The remote is quite big, and it can get in the way.
- The Bluetooth range isn’t fantastic.
- The ear tips and fins are one unit; therefore, you can’t just use the ear tips by themselves.
- The battery only lasts around four hours.
Jaybird Freedom F5 vs Freedom 2: What Is The Difference?
In the Jaybird Freedom F5 vs Freedom 2 battle, there is never going to be one clear winner. While Freedom F5 is packed full of features to surprise and please the user, the Freedom 2, released at the end of 2017, has built on those features to pack a real punch on the marketplace.
However, both the Jaybird Freedom and Freedom 2 are a favorite with different users for different reasons. We’ve covered these below.
Traditionally, headphones manufactured by various companies have largely been produced in the color black. Black suited most devices, and it seemed to be the generic color to appear in the product box upon purchase. However, with every new Apple device released onto the market, we then started seeing an insurgence of white. Before long, the market was flooded with different colors to give consumers a choice.
Jaybird is no different.
- With the Freedom F5 model, you can benefit from five different colors to suit your particular device or color preference. However, if you’re not fussed on color, it does pay to opt for black, and these appear to be the cheapest option.Other color options for the Jaybird Freedom F5 model, in order from most expensive to the most cost-effective on Amazon, include Blaze (red), Ocean (blue), Gold, Carbon, and Black.
- The color range for the Freedom F5 earphones can easily be considered unique, in the respect that it’s very rare to find a manufacturer willing to offer such a selection.However, with the release of the Freedom 2 Model towards the end of 2017, Jaybird seemed to tone it down a notch. Costing more than the Freedom F5 to buy, Freedom 2 is only available in Carbon or Gold on Amazon – with Carbon being the more expensive option.
3. Battery Life
Battery life counts for a lot when it comes to wireless headphones, as the lifespan doesn’t depend on the music device anymore, rather the earphones itself. While it’s nice to have the convenience of no tangled mass of wires, you do have to remember to charge both your device and your headphones.
Therefore, with an added step in the process, many people opt for headphones that offer the longest battery life – and rightly so. In the case of the Freedom F5 and Freedom 2, both headphones are advertised as offering an eight-hour battery life.
However, users must take into consideration that the testing to reach this verdict could ultimately produce a different outcome when put to the test by you. It all depends on the sound settings and even the volume of the music.
As such, many users believe the true battery life for both models is around the four-hour mark. While we’ve come a long way from AA batteries that lasted 30 minutes in a Walkmans or Discman, it seems like Jaybird could take the battery life a step further in models to come.
Both the Freedom F5 and Freedom 2 have been designed with user comfort in mind. They both offer different bud sizes for the best fit, and even a range of wings to suit as well. However, the let down from the latest Freedom 2 is the tip/fin combo. While the ultimate goal was to make it more convenient to be comfortable, it removes the ability for the user to swap out various fins and tips for the best-customized fit.
Both models also offer an inline remote which works very well. However, the Freedom 2 remote appears to be more cumbersome and heavy. As a result, some runners or athletes may find it gets in the way during a workout.
What the Freedom 2 model has, which the Freedom F5 model doesn’t, is the ability to adjust the cord’s length. A common bugbear with F5 users was how frustrating it could be to be on the go with a cord that was too long – or too short.
Now, a simple integrated cord management system enables you to shorten or lengthen the cord by just pulling on the small clips on the cord.
The Bluetooth functionality of both Freedom models is very good. However, given its other technologically advanced features, Freedom 2’s Bluetooth capabilities are not as good as they could be. Many customers note the range is not as good as previous models, even though it offers 4.1 multi-point Bluetooth with a 2.4 GHz frequency band, and compatibility for hands-free, headsets, A2DP, AVCRP, and SPP.
Not many headphones can boast “sweat-proof” as a feature. After all, it’s important first to master good sound quality before you move onto those sorts of features. However, Jaybird has come to the party to ensure both the Freedom F5 and 2 models are sweat-proof. As a result, users can benefit from premium sound quality without the interference of moisture. While they are not waterproof, they are double hydrophobic nano-coated with sweat-proofing technology.
Freedom vs Freedom 2: Which one Should I Choose?
You Should Buy the Jaybird Freedom F5 IF:
- You don’t want to spend much money.
- You want to choose a vibrant color.
- You don’t need to adjust the length of the cord.
- You’re happy with fewer features.
You Should Buy the Jaybird Freedom 2 IF:
- You want to be able to adjust the length of the cord.
- You require your headphones to be comfortable.
- You like a secure, snug fit.
- You appreciate the good sound quality.
- You don’t mind paying a little more for quality.